Barleycombe is praised by regulator the Care Quality Commission (CQC)
Barelycombe, Lifeways' residential service in Long Melford has been celebrating this week after being recognised for its quality of support by England’s health and social regulator.
Barelycombe, Lifeways' residential service in Long Melford has been celebrating this week after being recognised for its quality of support by England’s health and social regulator, the Care Quality Commission (CQC).
Following its most recent inspection in June, Barelycombe, a residential service that is home for up to eleven people with support needs, including autism and learning disabilities, has been rated ‘Good’ by the regulator in all five categories: safety, effectiveness, care, responsivity, and leadership. The CQC inspection report, which can be found on the regulator’s website, highlighted the following examples of high standards of care at Barelycombe:
- Staff promoted people's individuality and diversity and their views about how they wanted to receive support were valued and listened to. People received kind and compassionate care from staff who were knowledgeable about people's individual needs.
- The service was empowering and inclusive, with regard to people's preferences and choice.
- People told us they felt safe, and this was confirmed in how engaged they were and relaxed around staff.
- Without exception, relatives told us they felt their family members were safe living in the service. A relative said, "If anything happened to me, I know [family member] is safe and cared for."
- "Everyone who needs care should have a place like Barelycombe." said one relative. Other relatives described the service and staff as, "Brilliant," "Wonderful," and "Cannot fault it or say a bad word against them."
“I’m really proud”
Barleycombe’s Registered Manager, Angela Dodds says she is delighted at the news of the new rating.
“I’m really proud of all the staff for pulling together and working towards the result I feel we deserve”.
In turn staff told the regulator that they were proud to work for Lifeways and felt supported by the management team at the service. One staff member commented; "It's a truly magical place to work."
A further testament to the hard work by the staff at Barleycombe was received in a letter from the local MP for South Suffolk who praised ‘the kind and compassionate care’ from staff and their ‘commitment to the wellbeing of the people they support’.
Welcome to Barleyfest!
Barelycombe continued its celebrations this weekend with its annual festivities, Barleyfest, a village fete style event which includes music, stalls, games, and a barbecue on the service's grounds to which the local community and people's family and friends are all invited.
Karen Jones, Managing Director of Residential Operations at Lifeways said "It’s a very inclusive event and the gentlemen who live here love it. Angela (Registered Manager for Barleycombe) has been the driving force behind it”.
Congratulations Barelycombe – it looks like the weekend was an amazing success!More news and events